Annapolis Rock, MD
Top rope climbing and belay experience recommended
A proper trad climbing weekend! Backpack in along the Appalachian Trail to local beauty spot Annapolis Rock and spend two full days learning and practicing multi-pitch and trad climbing skills on steep, tall white quartzite cliffs—some of the best climbing within an hour of DC. We'll camp overnight within sight of the crags and enjoy dinner and breakfast overlooking Maryland's best sunset vista in a truly immersive backcountry experience.
This weekend trip combines our Multi-Pitch Fundamentals and Intro to Trad classes into two very full days—by the end of the trip you'll have a solid foundation of knowledge and practice to continue building on for traditional multi-pitch climbing.
- Advanced belay skills
- Multi-pitch systems including rope management, belay transitions, and complex rappels
- Essential gear knowledge and cleaning skills
- To place, assess, and test both passive (nuts and hexes) and active (cams) protection
- To build bomber multi-point anchors in unique situations using natural protection and gear
- Hands-on practice placing gear while climbing with instructor feedback
- Principles and concepts of safe, successful trad lead climbing
- Personal climbing gear if needed (harness, helmet, shoes, belay device)
- All group climbing equipment including trad gear
- Small-group instruction with the region's most trusted guides
- July 24-25 (FULL)
- August 2021 (coming soon)
ET Members and returning students—please email us at first for your discount code!
COVID-19: We’ve been working closely with the Parks Service to ensure responsible recreation during the COVID-19 pandemic. We’re keeping classes small, limiting shared gear and touch points and increasing sanitation on those that are impossible to avoid, encouraging social distancing, and requiring masks when social distancing is impossible. Please do not come to class if you have been in contact with a confirmed COVID-19 case and/or if you have any of the following symptoms: fever, cough/sore throat, shortness of breath, new loss of taste or smell; contact us and we’ll work it out.
RAIN AND CANCELLATION POLICY: Outdoor courses are held rain or shine; instructors make the final judgement on whether the weather makes it impossible to continue. As a general rule, weather moves quickly in our region, our rock type dries quickly, and climbing in light rain is both possible and fun--as long as you bring the right attitude and a rain jacket. We will notify you ahead of time if an extended bad weather forecast makes rescheduling likely, and we will pause courses in progress for thunder and lighting or for excessive heat (over 100 degrees). Rescheduled courses and classes rained out before 1pm will receive a rain check. Otherwise, come prepared to climb and enjoy the outdoors.
Courses are non-refundable within 15 days of class date unless cancelled by SRMG East for weather or not meeting minimum enrollments.